Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Music, Books, and Jesus


          I started going to church when I was in fourth grade. In my first Sunday School class, I received my very first Bible – The Adventure Kids Bible. I didn’t know it at the time, but that was where my faith journey began. In a few short months I was baptized and continued to grow in my faith by attending Vacation Bible School in the summer and participating in children’s sermon on Sunday mornings. Now, I look back to my beginning days and see just how much my faith has grown as well as all who helped me be where I am today. As I continue to increase my faith I have discovered a few different methods, specifically in three areas of my life: music, books, and Jesus.

          If you ask me what my favorite songs are, my response would probably be a long list of Casting Crowns, Hillsong United, Skillet, TobyMac, and basically any artist on K-Love. Ever since I started listening to K-Love and Air 1 on the radio my morning routine has been energetic rather than slow moving. By listening to encouraging songs, I discovered a new outlook on life – joy, happiness, love, and faith. Currently, I have 110 songs on my playlist which includes a variety of upbeat and contemporary Christian music. Without music in my life, the faith I have in Jesus would not be the same. I hope you take the 30-Day Challenge listening to only Christian music for 30 days. I promise, it will change your life.

          Reading is a wonderful tool to pass time, in addition it draws the reader into a fairytale, mystery, or horror story. My first Christian book, Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury, came as a suggestion from my mom. Immediately, I fell in love with her stories and still continue to read them when I have the chance. Recently I have read some of C.S. Lewis’ books including Mere Christianity. If you are a book lover like me, I encourage you to find a Christian author that writes in a genre that interests you. Then, take a week to read a few of their books and see how your life changes.

          Jesus – Our Lord and Savior. King of Kings. Lord of Lords. Emmanuel. Honestly, I know that listening to music and reading uplifting stories is a great way to keep me encouraged throughout the week, but without a daily devotional or reading of His Word my week is not complete. Without Jesus, my life would not be worth living.

          My advice: find your passion. Then use your passion to inspire and teach others about the love of Jesus. Due to Casting Crown’s passion of making music, I am inspired daily which in turn I have started this blog to hopefully inspire one of you.

I would love to hear from you on your passions and inspirations. Feel free to comment or email me at biblesandbackpacks3@gmail.com

 

XOXO
 

Ashley
Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment